[camp2019-village] Your input required now

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat Jun 22 18:22:50 UTC 2019

Hi Marcus!

On Sat, Jun 22, 2019 at 07:28:02PM +0200, Marcus Müller wrote:
> first of: from the choices presented, singularity sounds best.

Ok, then there's a clear trend.

> I don't know whether I'd even have the privilege to join that, tbh.

I don't think you need to worry about that.

> Considering I've been benefiting from spatial vicinity to osmocom very
> much last camp, I feel like I should be contributing here.

Thanks :)

> Honestly, if that doesn't feel too sketchy, I could pick up a couple of
> standard pavillon things [1] on the way, and bring enough rope, zip
> ties, and tape to make that work in all but the harshest weather.

Thanks for the offer.  I am personally a bit more sceptical towards the
durability of this lowest-cost approach.  Also, Pavillions of course
don't have side walls.  That's nice for air flow, but also means that
they provide literally zero protection from anything but the smallest
amount of rain with no wind.

> That'd cost 5€/m² of "roofed area". Rough estimate: 6 seats per
> pavillon, if we put tabling in the middle, i.e. single-digit euros in
> tent costs pP. I'd probably go for three pavillons in total.
>
> The real problem I'd see is table space, and seating.
> We could go for pasting tables (hopefully, this is how you'd translate
> /Tapeziertische/)[2].

Honestly, I think anything below "Bierbank" style equipment[1] doesn't make
much sense.

> I honestly have no idea how to address that; any car that I could reasonably rent
> to drive ~1500km wouldn't have space for beer tent benches, [...]

We could order whatever stuff in advance and store it at my place in
Berlin.  I have quite some storage space in my garage.  That way one
wouldn't have to drive things for 1500km through Germany.

However, I don't have a vehicle larger than a regular limousine car
to transport things to/from camp.

> Maybe we could rent tables and chairs locally, but I'd assume they'd
> require us to provide safe/clean flooring if we want to do that.

Not for "beer tent" benches + tables, which can also be rented.  Not
sure about the rates.

> One thing, though: I don't want to produce a couple of tables, a few
> pavillons, and folding chairs in waste. So, we'd ideally come up with a
> plan for what to do with the gathered infra after camp. That could
> involve storing some at my or someone else's place, communal space or
> donating it to someone who can put it to sensible use.

I can certainly store some amount of stuff (as long as it's still in a
condition to remain used) at my home, so it could be reused at the very
least at the next camp in 4 years.

Something like two Bierzeltgarnituren (each a tables + 2 benches) I'd
actually offer to buy out of my own pocket, as I'm sure I'd have use
for them at other occasions in my garden.

> Hope this helps anyone.

Thanks again for your offer.  I guess the big questions is whether
we will join singularity city, if not, I guess you volunteering is a
good thing.  If we are joining singularity city, then I suppose it's
much less critical as there should at least be some space for us in the
shared large tent.  Probably not sufficient for everyone to sit there
all day long, but then people also will be moving around...

btw: I will be bringing the "Osmocom fan base", if you remember it from
last time.  It has been operating at the sysmocom offices during the
last for years ;)

btw2: There's a singularity city organization mumble meeting coming up
on July 2nd.  Maybe somebody wants to join that to get a better feeling
of whether we would still need to bring extra tests and/or
tables+seating in that case.

[1] https://www.ebay.de/itm/Bierzeltgarnitur-Festzeltgarnitur-Set-Garnitur-Sitzgruppe-Biertisch-Juskys/372647893973?hash=item56c38b9bd5:g:-I8AAOSwUR9cqx4S