[camp2019-village] Your input required now (Re:Osmocom Village at CCC Camp 2019)

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat Jun 22 16:22:50 UTC 2019

Hi Vadim,

On Sat, Jun 22, 2019 at 09:02:42PM +0700, Vadim Yanitskiy wrote:
> сб, 22 июн. 2019 г. в 20:00, Alexander Couzens wrote:
> > I don't see any sense in splitting up the osmocom and camp gsm team.
>
> I also don't see any reason to have a separate Village, TBH.

The point was that there are a number of (Osmocom and related) people
who have nothing to do with operating a network at the camp.  Lynxis
registered a village specifically for the 2G/3G netowrk team.

Meanwhile, some other people have been asking me about an Osmocom village,
and whether there were any plans.  As there were none, I went ahead to
register one.

I don't mind having one village, or co-locating them.  I just think that
a village for the 2G/3G network team doesn't imply that it is inviting
other Osmocom (or near Osmocom) folks to join.

> Nobody has explained so far what is planned to be there:

I understood it pretty much like the Osmocom village at previous camps:
Just a bunch of people having their tents together and an area to work
and chat.

>   - hardware (SIMTrace, osmo-clck-gen, etc.) workshops?
>   - GNU Radio (gr-iridium, gr-gsm) workshops?

I'm not aware of anyone having the time and interest to hold public workshops.
Those that we had at previous events were at separate workshop tents and not
in the Osmcoom village.

>   - or just another place to seat? ;)

It's not just the seating, but primarily a spot where people have their tents
near each other.

> Or was it suggested as a place for Osmocom community members,
> who are not involved in the 2-3-4G network organization?

ACK.

> How much room will we have at the Camp GSM Village?

Lynxis will hsve to answer on that.