[bbs-revival] Sumamry of 36C3 activities / next steps

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Jan 2 22:06:58 UTC 2020

Dear all,

it was a lot of last-minute stress, but in the end I was able to present a very
well working dial-up setup at 36C3.  You can find more information about what
was presented at
 * Summary news post: https://osmocom.org/news/121
 * 36C3 wiki page: https://osmocom.org/projects/retro-bbs/wiki/36C3
 * https://osmocom.org/projects/retro-bbs/wiki/Dialup_Network_In_A_Box

Contrary to earlier plans, the main focus in this first installation was the
physical / telephony setup, and we didn't actualyl operate any BBSs on-site
but merely terminated Modem calls in the Portmaster and forwarded those via
telnet to remote (public and 36C3 specific) BBS installations.

But now as that is working, the setup will remain the same and I can try to
spend some more time on software / protocols.  I still want to run at least
one Synchronet and one Mystic BBS in Linux containers, as well as one Zerberus
instance in a qemu-kvm.  The related containers/VMs exist, but need to be
connected with the outside world and fully configured.  At future events I
then hope to be able to demo ZConnect and FTN style networks, with a QWK
reader and CrossPoint on the client/PC side.

As empty BBSs are of course quite boring, it would be good to get at
least one of them set up rather soon and then start to actually fill it
with messages.  One idea would be to gate the osmocom.org mailing lists,
but of course one can also join at least some of those FTN networks that
still exist today, which should at least fill some message areas over
time.

If anyone wants to help out, help is - as always - much appreciated.  I
can host some VMs/containers on public IP addresses, as needed.

The main two areas requiring help are, AFAICT:
* set-up of several BBSs, including connectivity to FTN networks
* set-up and test of QWK and point software
* improved qemu/telnet integration (https://osmocom.org/issues/4341)