[bbs-revival] VoIP Modem and Wardialer for the 2020

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Jan 2 21:56:46 UTC 2020

Hi Fabio,

On Thu, Jan 02, 2020 at 02:35:34PM +0100, Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) wrote:
> yesterday we (myself and Guido Flandero/KHS9NE) have released "A Voip
> Wardialer for the phreaking of 2020
> "https://github.com/x25today/voipwardialer .
> <https://github.com/x25today/voipwardialer>

congratulations.

> The main goal of the project is to have a fully working software-only
> VoIP-Modem that can be used for wardialing, dialing a favorite BBS running
> on Landline number and more.

This is pretty much what I had in mind, too - although not specifically for
wardialing, but simply for any use case.

> The design is a bit "creative" but it's done a way to make the "Software
> DSP" issue pluggable and remote (now Asterisk-Softmodem connected to a local
> asterisk).

As you can see at http://osmocom.org/projects/linmodem/issues I had the plan
to do this based on the linmodem code from Fabrice Bellard (who needs no
introduction).  The code implements more different modems/standards than
the asterisk code, and it's not really tied to the winmodem hardware - it simply
consumes and produces 16bit samples, so all that's needed to attach it to RTP
is to do the aLaw/uLaw table lookup.

But hey, my approach is still vapourware and yours is implemented, so who
am I to make suggestions.

Happy hacking,