[bbs-revival] Another Hi

Ingo Jürgensmann ij at amigaxess.de
Tue Jan 2 21:17:23 UTC 2018

Hi Flo!

Nice to see you here, too! :)

> used to run 2:2449/845 on the Amiga with CNet and Trapdoor.
> Stopped operating the BBS somewhere around '94 or something.

Back then I was 2:2449/413, but currently 2:2449 seems to be dead, so I connected under 2:2452 network.

> Used to be an A3000T040 with 3 MFCIII with a bunch of Courier
> V.Everything.

I was running my box on a A3000/060 - and still would like to do so. Only lacking a secure and up-to-date implementation of OS and AmiBinkd. ;)

> Started with Linux because it got an IP Stack which was a lot more
> stable than the AmiTCP stuff. So i started polling "real email" via
> UUCP to a Linux box - then via UUCP over IP on a local Arcnet to
> the Amiga via UUCP over IP to connect all BBS users to "real email".
> Still using UUCP (over SSL) for most of my email.

I was gating on Amiga as well. Worked like a charme back then. Setting up UUCP is still on my todo list. I was using UUCP until 2005 or something (connected to westfalen.de in Muenster).

> Fido used to be a PITA with CNet as it got the implementation of
> zone gates wrong so mails to a different zone didnt work out of
> the box. I remember binary patching the CNet binaries.

Well, there are other BBS softwares out there… ;)

> Memory is pretty vague - Its a long time ago and uucp map files,
> fido nodelists are long gone - My V.Everythings still exist though.

The nodelist still exists! ;-)

In May 2017 I rejoined Fido after 17 years of absence. Many things have changed and my impression is that the software stack you need to run a Fido box is not in the best shape.

Currently I’m trying to get ifcico up & running on my Debian Linux box. When calling from my A3000 with Trapdoor (yes, it is still running! ;-)) the modem connect is done between the two Zyxel 1496E modems, but then the EMSI handshake fails. Or the handover between mgetty and ifcico. See https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=872507
So, if someone has some tips for me, that’d be very much appreciated! :-)

--
Ciao...          //        http://blog.windfluechter.net
     Ingo     \X/     XMPP: ij at jabber.windfluechter.net

gpg pubkey:  http://www.juergensmann.de/ij_public_key.asc