[bbs-revival] Modern Wardialer and Linmodem with VoIP

Fabio Pietrosanti - Lists lists at infosecurity.ch
Thu Feb 15 21:28:09 UTC 2018

Hello,

i read about this project that i found quite exciting in it's goals:

http://lists.osmocom.org/pipermail/bbs-revival/2018-January/000003.html

With a friend during the (very limited) spare time we're developing a
pure python modern based SIP/RTP/G711 wardialer, to let younger
generation get having fun with old school phreaking stuff.

Because of the DSP modem related complexities, we've decided to focus
only on:

- Fast signaling scanning of phone prefixes to find existing phone numbers

- Fast scanning on existing phone numbers by recording some 10-15s of
audio, then processing it

It will be something like:

./wardial.py -h sip-hostname -p port -u username -p password -c parallel
channel -r range-XX-XXX (or --input numberlist) -o logfile --fast (fast
scan to check which number exists without looking for carriers)
--wait-between-calls --timeout

However the final goal would be also to hook a software modem to make an
handshake with the remote modem, grab the banner but also provide a
virtual serial interface to let play with the remote system using
minicom or whatever terminal emulation software.

But there's no softmodem and easy to be hooked piece of code to do it,
until now, as i saw this lovely project recovering linmodem.

I wanted to share our goals as will be keeping an eye on the project
where the linmodem/voip/virtualserial integration could be a really nice
companion to complete a modern wardialing kit for 2018 :-)

-naif