Libre baseband

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun Dec 17 12:33:20 UTC 2017

Hi Marek!

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 12:58:00PM +0100, Marek Sebera wrote:
> Silly idea maybe, but would it be possible to port osmocom-bb for
> mediatek/intel/qualcomm BBP and replace the current firmware with open one?

theoretically possible, yes.

> I presume it will be a tremendous amount of work, no doubts, but apart from
> that, is it theoretically and technically possible? Given root and/or
> hardware acces of course, we do not need to preserve the old firmware or
> exploit the update process (ie. if specific cert signature is needed for
> bbp-soc firmware update)

The biggest challenges, from my point of view, are:

* using phones that don't use secure/authenticated boot for the BBP, or
  those where the certificates have leaked and/or exploits are known
* finding significant enough amount of leaked sources or documentation
  and/or doing the reverse engineering required to understand how to talk
  to the DSP and/or related peripherals
* finding the time to work on the protocol stack beyond classic 2G which
  is currently implemented in OsmocomBB.