gerrit for osmocom-bb

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Thu Apr 20 08:18:57 UTC 2017

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 09:01:30PM +0200, Sylvain Munaut wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > One issue that I fear is that I see very little activity outside of the
> > sysmocom team in gerrit in terms of review.  I had the feeling this was
> > better while posting patches still on the mailing lists.  I'm not sure
> > there is a causality.
>
> I'm not sure if it's just me or if I'm using it wrong but I'm always
> annoyed when I have to login to gerrit ...

I've gotten somewhat used to it but it's a bit of an eyebrow raiser every
time. The OpenID seems like it should be really useful, why else would it
have been invented, but practically for me it blows up the usual
click-on-login with the password remembered from my keystore to a
three-step process. I wish gerrit simply had a password. (It does, but
that seems to be unusuable for website logins, only for build bots?)

> 1) I shouldn't be logged out at all ... it's not a high security stuff
> that session should be kept open for a long time, like > 1 week
> without issues ...
> 2) I have to retype the openid login url. I mean there is a login with
> Yahoo and login with Launchpad Id dedicated link, isn't there a way to
> add, "login with your osmocom redmine account" link ?

My browser remembers the URL but I still need to type 'h' to trigger the
https... URL.

> 3) Then I'm redirected to redmine, where I have to login as well,
> because again for some reason I've been logged out. Same comment as
> above, unless I explicitely log out, that session should last for ever
> pretty much ...
> 4) When I then login to redmine, I get redirected to the OpenID end
> point but at this point the "open id state" or whatever has been lost
> and so I need to go back to gerrit and re-do the whole login process
> so it can do it in one go without being interrupted by the redmine
> login process and finally log me into gerrit ...

A way to shorten the process is to login on osmocom.org first, and only
then move on to gerrit -- annoying, I agree. I assume the redmine login
dialog loses gerrit's state.

> I can assure you I gave up on the whole process more than one time ....

Gave up? :)
I pestered about it when we moved to gerrit, but it does work.
Admitted, sometimes the '500 Bad Gateway' needs a browser restart...

In summary, I agree the login is unusually cumbersome.

+1 for a "login via osmocom.org" link, not sure where to plug that though.

+1 for longer sessions, also not quite sure how configurable that is...

I think both redmine and gerrit remain logged in as long as the browser
keeps the login cookie?  I'm usually logged out only when I restart the
browser.

In the redmine admin, I see an "Autologin: disabled" item that can be set
to 1, 7, 30 or 365 days. I'd switch that to 30 days if everyone agrees.

Gerrit configuration is generally a bit unusual, so far I couldn't find a
way to configure login sessions.

~N