support for L2/3 on chip

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at no-log.org
Thu Aug 7 22:49:30 UTC 2014

On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 18:03:24 +0200
☎ <Max.Suraev at fairwaves.co> wrote:

> Instead of porting it to BB directly you can use OpenMoko Neo
> Freerunner and run mobile on AP while talking to BP from proper
> GNU/Linux.
>
> Not sure how much work it would be to integrate it with FSO stack but
> at least you won't have such strict space constraints. BEsides you'll
> get much nicer screen and other hw features ;)
And a very limited battery life. The s3c24xx won't be able to suspend
to RAM...
Still there is a recipe for an old version of osmocombb for SHR.

There was an attempt to port nuttx to osmocombb compatibles phones.

It was stopped due to the lack of time of the developers who had
some changes in their lives.

I had a *very dirty*[1] port of layer1 on top of nuttx. It blocked
during the scanning, it could be related to some compiler issues that
were solved more recently. Note that the code has to be cleaned becuase
it's very dirty and probably incomplete (some #if 0 [...] #endif might
remain).

Beside the dirty layer1 port, we upstreamed a lot of the work in nuttx.

Upstream, in the OS part, the code has to be BSD/permissively licensed.
So the code adapted from osmocombb has to be relicensed, which means
that the person doing the port:
1) he/she does the port
2) he/she finds all the copyright holders of the particular driver
3) he/she submit upstream

Sometimes writing a new driver is easier and makes more sense (like
for the C155 LCD driver).

Upstreaming worked fine for many drivers, and that can work because
only some drivers need to be in the nuttx OS part, they accept a
lot more licenses(including the GPL) for the nuttx applications.
Some developer specifically stated that he won't relicense GSM specific
code to BSD, including some GSM specific drivers, so I guess that
puting theses drivers inside the application would be fine.