Usefulness of the Calypso (was Re: seL4 is open source now)

Steve Markgraf steve at steve-m.de
Tue Aug 5 19:24:48 UTC 2014

Hi Michael,

On 05.08.2014 20:44, Michael Spacefalcon wrote:
> But the problem is that at the present time there does not exist any
> cellphone at all, of any kind (dumb, smart, old, new, whatever) that
> can make and receive cellular phone calls using only Free Software, as
> defined by the Free Software Foundation, i.e., providing the user with
> the most essential Four Freedoms:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
[...]
> power management exactly like the original proprietary firmware.  And
> because no one else is working on such a thing, I started my own, and
> made quite a bit of progress:
>
> https://bitbucket.org/falconian/freecalypso-sw

I don't quite see how waving the Free Software flag and distributing
proprietary source from the TSM30/Locosto leaks (pretty much everything
in freecalypso-sw/gsm-fw/) go together. Your efforts would be of much
more use if you based them on top of osmocom-bb itself.

As long as this main issue with your project remains, I kindly ask you
to refrain from making false claims and further advertising your
project on this list.

Best Regards,
Steve