OsmocomBB Mobile Call Setup Weird behaviour

dagar dagar1935 at hotmail.co.uk
Fri Feb 15 05:11:21 UTC 2013

OK am testing the mobile app with C123 using real sim but getting some odd
behaviour

(have tested with main branch & sylvian testing branch and results have been
similar to this)

The results below are from using sylvian testing branch build as described
here  http://bb.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/SIMReader
<http://bb.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/SIMReader>   config tx is enabled etc

I can download the layer1 firmware to the phone ok - mobile app seems to run
ok aswell but when I try to make a call or sms this is where there's some
odd behaviour .

On my first attempt to make a call I can hear the call trying to be made but
an automated message is played saying I have dialed an incorrect number
(this normally happens if the number is dialed in an incorrect format)

In previous attempts I have tried all the formats I can think of but have
never been able to get a successful call to go through as of yet but if I
dial it through the phone (without osmocom) normally everything works fine..

07780000000
+447780000000
447780000000
00447780000000

Usually after the first call the phone then mysteriously deregisters from
the network there is no service and when I restart osmocon/mobile etc I
still cannot register on the network it just keeps scannning frequenceies
and failing to connect with the network.

On my first osmocon log when i managed to connect to the network after the
call was released there were alot of DSP Error Status: 32 messages and then
no service.

I have gone through the logs but I still can't figure out why
a) the call is failing to go through correctly
b) why it seems like I get kicked of the network if I try to make a call

Here are my full outputs

1ST ATTEMPT - MANAGED TO PLACE CALL THEN CONNECTION DROPPED
Osmocon output -  https://www.box.com/s/xdqi7azezprf4g7erz9h
<https://www.box.com/s/xdqi7azezprf4g7erz9h>
Mobile output -  https://www.box.com/s/gqcdas9eqso0nchat011
<https://www.box.com/s/gqcdas9eqso0nchat011>
Telnet output -  https://www.box.com/s/lcazgabtmous0xheklmc
<https://www.box.com/s/lcazgabtmous0xheklmc>

2ND ATTEMPT - FAILED TO CONNECT
Osmocon output -  https://www.box.com/s/c42vi7ows8p14h0hr45m
<https://www.box.com/s/c42vi7ows8p14h0hr45m>
Mobile output -  https://www.box.com/s/eqygysqommur46ywgqrs
<https://www.box.com/s/eqygysqommur46ywgqrs>
Telnet output -  https://www.box.com/s/kmympl0g0l8zb3xjyu8d
<https://www.box.com/s/kmympl0g0l8zb3xjyu8d>

3RD ATTEMPT - FAILED TO CONNECT
Osmocon output -  https://www.box.com/s/gb9aw9p05pqy1v5fpxke
<https://www.box.com/s/gb9aw9p05pqy1v5fpxke>
Mobile output -  https://www.box.com/s/llo751tuvvu1p5v31eur
<https://www.box.com/s/llo751tuvvu1p5v31eur>
Telnet output -  https://www.box.com/s/t8e63lqrad87f35uylge
<https://www.box.com/s/t8e63lqrad87f35uylge>

Extract from telnet

OsmocomBB#
% (MS 1)
% Trying to registering with network...

% (MS 1)
% On Network, normal service: Guernsey, T-Mobile
show ms
MS '1' is up, service is normal
  IMEI: 35972800609####
     IMEISV: 359728006093####
     IMEI generation: fixed
  automatic network selection state: A2 on PLMN
                                     MCC=234 MNC=30 (Guernsey, T-Mobile)
  cell selection state: C3 camped normally
                        ARFCN=628(DCS) MCC=234 MNC=30 LAC=0x084f
CELLID=0xf65d
                        (Guernsey, T-Mobile)
  radio ressource layer state: idle
  mobility management layer state: MM idle, normal service

OsmocomBB# call 1 +44772228####
OsmocomBB#
% (MS 1)
% Call has been released

% (MS 1)
% On Network, normal service: Guernsey, T-Mobile
call 1 +44772228####
% (MS 1)
% Searching network...
show ms
% (MS 1)
% On Network, normal service: Guernsey, T-Mobile
call 1 44772228####
OsmocomBB#
% (MS 1)
% Call is proceeding

% (MS 1)
% Call is alerting

% (MS 1)
% Call: Remote hangs up

% (MS 1)
% Trying to registering with network...

% (MS 1)
% Trying to registering with network...

% (MS 1)
% Searching network...

% (MS 1)
% No service.

% (MS 1)
% Power off!

CALL SETUP EXTRACT FROM 1ST MOBILE APP OUTPUT