Regular Osmocom meeting in Berlin?

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 20:31:05 UTC 2012

Harald,

Looks like a great idea to promote open-source in telecom and recruit
more devs into the community. Not to mention all other goals. I wish
you all the best in setting up this event and I wish I lived in
Berlin. :)

I have to schedule a new run of my seminars on GSM and OpenBTS in
Moscow as well. Hopefully it will bring more attention from Russian
audience as well.

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 19:20, Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was pondering to start a regular Osmocom meeting (monthly or bi-weekly)
> in Berlin.
>
> The idea would be not only to converge the existing developers in Berlin
> (zecke, roh, prom, tobias, peter, kevin, myself, ...) but to also try to
> share some knowledge and excitement with other interested hackers in the
> wider community.
>
> A split format for the event might make sense:  Have a more or less
> organized 45min talk about one particular topic + 15min discussion and
> then switch to an informal meeting style without any particular topic or
> moderator.
>
> For the first half there is a long list of topics intended at informing
> people about the status and capabilities of the respective projects:
> OsmocomBB, OsmoTETRA, OsmoGMR, SIMtrace, etc.
>
> Regarding the venue, I would suggest to hold it at the Berlin CCC.
>
> What do you generally think about this?
>
> What day of the week should we be aiming at?  Tuesday and Thursday is
> generally not a good idea, as those are already occupied with other
> events.
>
> If you think it's a good idea, I would request/register the event with
> the CCC Berlin.
>
> Regards,
>        Harald
>
> --
> - Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org>           http://laforge.gnumonks.org/
> "Privacy in residential applications is a desirable marketing option."
>                                                  (ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)

Alexander Chemeris.
CEO, Fairwaves LLC / ООО УмРадио
http://fairwaves.ru