Flashing Layer1 to GTA02

Arno Onken asnelt at asnelt.org
Wed Jun 20 20:07:12 UTC 2012

Hello everyone!

I got osmocom-bb running on a gta02 with a self-built Debian image.
osmocon-bb was compiled natively on the gta02. Everything works great using:

$ ./osmocon -i 13 -m romload -p /dev/ttySAC0 layer1.highram.bin

as described at:

http://bb.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/OpenMoko

It bugs me, however, that the proprietary openmoko 11 firmware is still
lingering in the baseband flash. So I would like to replace it
permanently with the osmocom-bb layer 1 firmware. That didn't work so far.

First, I attempted to use the FLUID binary to flash layer1.highram.bin.
The manual firmware update that is described at:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Flashing_the_GSM_Firmware

suggests to use the FLUID binary from the package:

http://people.openmoko.org/joerg/calypso_moko_FW/fluid_0.0+svn20070817-r2_armv4t_eabi.ipk

I tried to run:

$ FLUID_PORT=/dev/ttySAC0 ./fluid.exe -oo -od13,13 -b 115200 -f
layer1.highram.bin

This gives me:

FLUID Revision 2.27, (23 Aug 2004). Copyright Texas Instruments, 2001-2004.
Reading image file:
'/usr/local/src/osmocom-bb/src/target/firmware/board/gta0x/layer1.highram.bin'WARNING:
Illegal hex line:
 ERROR(55): File format/syntax error

I also played with the options but to no avail. So apparently fluid
expects the firmware image to be in a particular format.

Then I tried the osmoload utility. For that I started osmocon with:

$ ./osmocon -i 13 -l /tmp/osmocom_loader -m romload -p /dev/ttySAC0
loader.highram.bin

osmocon then says:

Sending Calypso romloader beacon...

On another console I then turned on the GSM device and tried to request
information about flash using:

$ ./osmoload -l /tmp/osmocom_loader finfo

This gives me:

Requesting flash layout info
Query timed out.

What am I doing wrong? Are there fundamental reasons why this cannot
work? Any hints would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Arno