restart layer1 from remote?

Tim Ehlers osmocom at ehlers.info
Mon Dec 10 13:36:23 UTC 2012

Hi,

I have the problem, that after running for quite a while, lets say a week,
the layer1 seems to crash. This crash is random and only happens on single
phones (I have 6 phones connected to one mobile app).

This phone is unusable, even after "shutdown/no shutdown" or complete
restart of mobile, this phone stays like this:

OsmocomBB# show ms 3
MS '3' is up, service is limited
   IMEI: XXXXXXXXXXXX
      IMEISV: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
      IMEI generation: fixed
   automatic network selection state: A1 trying RPLMN
                                      MCC=262 MNC=07 (Germany, O2)
   cell selection state: C1 normal cell selection
   radio ressource layer state: idle
   mobility management layer state: MM idle, PLMN search

By restarting the phone (pressing power on the phone, and reloading
layer1) its working again. But this need physical access to the phone.

Is there a way to somehow "reboot" or restart the layer1 by software? And
if not, could that easily be implemented?

Thanks

Tim