Creating a real usable phone using OsmocomBB

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 13:09:56 UTC 2011

Excuse me for offtopic: I wonder why there is no 3G in Berlin? This looks
quite weird.

--
Alexander Chemeris
Sent from my Android device. Sorry for my brevity.

On Dec 13, 2011 4:59 PM, "Peter Stuge" <peter at stuge.se> wrote:

Harald Welte wrote:
> > I'm not sure if there are any modems based on Calypso chipset, but
> > even ...
Don't be so sure. I've met competent engineers who have very weird
issues with their M2M equipment being suddenly unreachable on the
network without the modem reporting any error status.

> Sierra, Cinterion, Wavecom and others have a well-established market,
> and their products do ve...
This is also not neccessarily for us to see. I think it's an
interesting and relevant parallell track. There's no reason *not* to
do it when it is *easier* than the other things we want to do, is my
reasoning somehow.

> The target user for the "OsmocomBB based phone" would be primarily a
> "free software enthusiast...
Also not neccessarily the only market we have. By now it's easy to
customize your smartphone with tons of apps and so on, but regular
users also like to change technology to fit them now and then. OK, it
could be argued that they fall under the definition of free software
enthusiasts, but the people I think of usually don't.

> And such users are interested in real telephones, notin modems for
> embedded systems.
Maybe they have laptops and would like to use open source internet
connectivity as well. In Berlin there's e.g. never 3G service
available anyway, so 2G-only may be fine.

Just because it's not for me or you doesn't mean that noone else will
not want it. :)

//Peter