some questions

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun Feb 21 16:29:39 UTC 2010

Hi Ilya,

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 04:14:16PM +0200, Ilya Petrov wrote:
> 2010/2/21 Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org>:
> > There is no immediate need for an OS either, as we will initially work
> > on writing the Layer 2 / Layer3 on the PC while running Layer1 on the phone
> > itself.
>
> just like motomagix. so if i port layer1 to neptune and write usb driver
> i`l be able to run layer1 on ezx bp and layers 2 and 3 on ap.

theoretically, yes.

However, the biggest part of what we currently have as a layer1 is how to talk
to the DSP ROM code.  This will likely be very different from the Ti Calypso.
So unless you have access to documentation or do a lot of tedious reverse
engineering, I think it will be quite difficult.

You also need to write drivers for all the Neptune-integrated peripherals,
and work on a way how you can actuall get your code executed on it.

> whould this be hard?

yes.

I'm not saying its impossible, but I think it is definitely more work than what
we have done so far (which is probably around two months full time work).

Nonetheless, the higher levels of layer1 and everything above could likely
be shared between various different digital basebands.